First I wanted to tell you guys a little about why I started couponing. The most obvious reason to save money. But with 3 kids our grocery bill was getting out of hand! We are talking $500-650 a month and being a one income family it was just too much!! Plus because of medical bills and other expenses we needed to cut back somewhere so I decided to give couponing a try and I am so glad I did! I am positive that you will be too!!!
SO the first step to couponing is getting the coupons!
- The Sunday paper is the most common place to find coupons. You need at least 3-4 copies! Here is a schedule for 2014 for the newspaper inserts: http://couponingtobedebtfree.com/2014/01/12/2014-sunday-newspaper-coupon-insert-schedule/. Most people will tell you to get a subscription but I know that here in my area it is more expensive for me to subscribe then to go down the road and pick a couple of copies up for myself. I also know that Wal-Mart's copies of our local paper are about $0.06- $0.08 cheaper per issue than anywhere else.
- You can also print the coupons online at several sites, some of my favorites are
- hopster.com (you earn points when you redeem their coupons which can help you get higher value coupons the next time)
- befrugal.com (this website has more of a database of coupons that will send you to different websites to print)
- Some stores have their own coupons that you can match with manufacturer coupons (called stacking) to save even more. CVS, Walgreens, and Target have these most often. (If you want a run down of all the coupon LINGO here is the link to one of my favorite sites http://thekrazycouponlady.com/beginners/#day5. I can't break it down any better than they do!)
- Something to remember about printing from the internet is that you are usually limited to 2 copies per computer. If you have more than one computer utilize them all. You can also print from an iPad or iPhone if you have an HP wireless printer.
- If you aren't opposed to it you can also check your local paper only recycling bin. You will need to check your local laws to make sure this isn't illegal in your area. In Tennessee it isn't illegal unless otherwise posted on the dumpster, the bin is guarded or fenced in, or it's a private bin.
- Ask your friends and neighbors, if you know someone who gets the paper and doesn't use the coupons, it can't hurt to ask.
I added Casting Crowns-Courageous below. I just love this song and the movie! God bless!