Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day #3

Yesterday was our first tracking exercise and I'm pretty sure everyone was in awe! For us-the only thing that I could thing was this is why we are here* It was amazing the way she found them.

Charlie and Dalton probably walked out 50-75 yards (I'm terrible with measurement by just looking at stuff and Charlie and mom are asleep so that is a total guess :) ), they let Arizona watch for the first 20 yards then the trainer stepped in front of her so she couldn't see where they went after that. Then Charlie and Dalton at the end of the clearing stepped a few feet into the woods. But Arizona went right to them without hesitation.

When you're in constant fear of your child getting out of the house and wandering off by themselves, it dominants your life. Every time we go somewhere new our first thoughts aren't, "Oh this is going to be fun." or "The kids are going to love this!" it's "Where can Dalton get away the easiest" or "What aren't we going to be able to keep him away from?" I mean we still think about the first set of questions but they definitely aren't at the forefronts of our minds. Sometimes we flat out avoid situations that we know they would enjoy but are just too much risk with Dalton.

This dog obviously isn't going to take Dalton's desire to run off away. But what we hope for is that if he ever gets away she can find him, she will give us another set of eyes on him, and in public she will be tethered to him to help him not wander off.

They are also bonding really well. We are super excited about this! We are bribing the dog to like him :) We make sure he gives him the best treats every time she comes around and only the good ones like Beggin' Strips!



We are excited to go out on another tracking exercise today and to see what other cool tricks Arizona has up her sleeve!

X

Psalm 28:7 NKJV--The Lord is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,
And with my song I will praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment