Monday, September 2, 2013

Doctors, Therapists, Teachers...Oh My!

There are certain frustrations when you have a child with special needs-if you have a child with limited verbal ability, not knowing what they want or what hurts is at the top of the list. Finding a diagnosis that is for certain can be a challenge. But I know for me in the #1 slot has to be finding the right medical team to cover all of our needs.

Wading through doctors and therapists can be a trip and much like everything else it is a game of trial & error. We are on our 6 pediatrician! No I DO NOT enjoy changing doctors every time the wind blows but it is extremely hard to find a doctor who can cover all the basis we need them to cover. Thankfully, I believe we have finally found a pediatrician!

Therapists for Speech & OT isn't as bad because there aren't as many choices and luckily we hit the nail on the head with Speech. We love our private Speech Therapist and the great progress she has helped Dalton make.

But nonetheless the "Find the doctor" game is frustrating and there are times when you just want to give up. Why can there not be a road map with blinking lights that says "Right here, this is where you need to be!!!"

With teachers, most of the time, you are just at the mercy of the school system to get it right. I know here, there are only certain schools that have the programs that Dalton requires, so there isn't much of a choice. Not that ours isn't good. There just isn't any choices.

I hear "Brittany, I don't know how you do it." a lot. Honestly, I have only two secrets. My faith in the Lord, my savior, who I cry out to when it feels like the weight is too great to carry on my own (pretty much daily, sometimes hourly, & a few days every minute) and I have an awesome family to help me out!

But I believe that everyone has somethings in their lives that is their "weight." Everyone is different but we all have something that afflicts us. Mine is no greater than anyone Else's.

X

Deuteronomy 31:8-And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.”

2 comments:

  1. What is it that you are looking for in a pediatrician that kept causing you to have to change Dr's for Dalton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were all different reasons. The first doctor would never address our concerns about his development or him being sick all the time. The second peds office we ended up having a bad experience with when he was really sick one time but they did refer us to Early Intervention and an ENT & allergist. The third doctor was an older doctor who was pretty cooky. Then the 4th we did like and he got us to where we needed to be to get a diagnosis plus he could handle his allergy issues but when we moved we had to change again. The first doctor we tried here in Bristol just couldn't/wouldn't deal with his hyperactive and anxiety meds. I could have taken him to like a pyschiatrist and kept the same pediatrician but I wanted to be able to take him to one place and the other kids be able to see the same doctor. Which lead us to our 6th pediatrician who has been great so far! Thankfully.

    ReplyDelete