Saturday, March 9, 2013

Genetics

When you have a “genetic difference” it gives a whole new meaning to the saying “bad genes.” Sometimes that phrase even stings a little after you actually find out you have what some would consider “bad genes.” Since we have received our diagnosis I have come in contact with families that embrace their “genes” and with families that deny them. Regardless of which side of the fence they choose to be on, it doesn’t change the genes that they have.
 
Our heritage and genes are what they are. In the end they can’t be changed, hidden, or denied. Most of the time you have no idea of the “differences” you have in your genes or chromosomes until something happens and there are reasons to question it.
I have a broken X and my husband has a difference on his 5th chromosome. The difference between the two is that my broken X finally decided to show up. Charlie inherited his difference from someone just like I inherited my broken X from someone.
I love the statement “It can’t be me, I don’t have any symptoms!” Well, I didn’t either! I never have trouble making friends, being in social situations, and was generally a straight A student. Refusing to be tested so that “you” don’t have to “admit” that it could have come from you doesn’t change whether it did or not. It just means that you don’t know for sure!
Regardless of how we feel, whether it be guilty, sad, or torn. Why as parents, if we know it is a possibility, would we not be tested to see if we are carriers of something that could affect our children? Our opinions don’t change what is.
2 Corinthians 1:7 NKJV And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation.
X

No comments:

Post a Comment