Friday, November 23, 2012

Glad Tidings

I love this time of year! I am so excited that it's almost Christmas. Which is my favorite holiday. I already have my Christmas tree up (my husband says I'm ridiculous to put it up before Thanksgiving even happened but that's okay).

I'm so glad that Dalton is starting to get excited about Christmas festivities as well. He has been pointing to Santa Claus and the Christmas tree on one of his iPad apps. Barney has a Christmas movie in which they sing "The 12 Days of Christmas" he learned all the moves last year and he remembers most of them this year. We were practicing today. He has even started saying some of the words to the song (something he didn't do last year).

Sometimes, in the midst of all the things we deal with on an everyday basis it's hard to see the progress that he has made. When I'm trying really hard to drag the words out of him it's very difficult to remind myself that a year ago the word wasn't there to be dragged out of him. It takes something like the song to remind me of the progress that he has made and continues to make everyday. He has started going into speech therapy without me! This is a HUGE step for him. It's been almost a month since he started and he is doing very well with it.

The most wonderful thing to me is how great of a big brother he is. He is the best big brother. To him there is nothing like his baby sister, Payson. I hope that his attitude is the same with the new baby.

Overall in the last year Dalton has made wonderful progress and I know that next year he will continue. It isn't always on the timeline I have in mind but it does happen.

Dalton has been trying a new medicine for almost 2 months now, risperdal, for his hyper-activity. He had been taking Clonidine but it's only real usage was to help him go to sleep after a very exciting day. The risperdal seems to be helping keep him on an even playing field all day long. As opposed to his normal up and down and all the way around mode. We tried Zoloft and Paxil for his anxiety with no success with either one. They had a direct effect on his potty training was our number 1 issue. He also became aggressive while on them which isn't a normal thing for him. We decided we wouldn't try another medicine like those at this time.

X

1 Thessalonians 5:18 NKJV In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment