Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Underestimated

I recently sat and typed out all the words that Dalton can and does say. I was very close to 100 words. I was so excited. This is a huge increase from the 25-35 six months ago.

But, before I typed out this list, in my mind, the number of words that he said wasn't anywhere near this amount. I had completely underestimated him and the words he does say. He has greatly improved in just the last month since, as I had said before, we have changed his diet slightly and added the vitamins.

We are changing his diet further and we are slowly taking more and more of the gluten out of his diet. We have not fully removed it all at this time but we are working towards it.

Sometimes I forget how many accomplishments Dalton has made on those bad days. Every now and then I forget about the light at the end of the tunnel. Simply because the light is a different color not because it isn't there.

I guess my point is sometimes instead of dwelling on the things Dalton can't do I'm going to focus (even make a list if I have to) on the things he can do and the things he is improving in everyday.

Isaiah 41:10-Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

X

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder. My 3 year old son amazes me every day too. It may not seem like they are paying attention to the things that we are teaching them but when the language and communication picks up, boy is it so apparent what they are learning and taking in. We also shouldn't disregard non verbal communication. That is a BIG piece of the puzzle too and they have to start there before they can expand. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete