Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Just a vitamin?

When you are given a diagnosis of FXS or Autism from a physician, their professional opinion is "It is what it is, we are going to try our best to manage it and provide the best therapies available." But at this point there is no fix or "medical" way to improve the situation. Most doctors do not believe that a change in diet or vitamins will improve or change behaviors or help with other quirks.

I know that there is no fixing a genetic disorder. We can't change the genes we have been given and neither can the doctors.

With all that said, we decided to try some different vitamins and as of right now making minor changes to his diet to see if there were any changes for Dalton. The vitamins were something that a DAN doctor had suggested before we knew of the genetic side of Dalton's issues.

We've tried the suggested vitamin regimen. With just the changes with the vitamins it made a world of difference with Dalton's potty training! Within about 3 weeks. And I know for a fact that it made a difference because I took him off of the pills because I, myself wasn't completely convinced. When we took him off the vitamins he had accidents everyday, all day long. When I started giving him the vitamins again within the first week he had stopped having accidents.

The last two weeks we have taken him off of diary milk again. (Yes I took him off, gave it back to him, and now have taken him off of it again) This time he will not be getting the milk back. Because, he has increased his vocabulary as well as his pronunciation and his ability to follow multi-step instructions. He did the same thing when I took him off of it the first time, then stopped when I gave him the milk back, and now he doesn't have the milk and is doing much better!

I'm not a health freak at all. But like I said, trial and error has already proven for us that these small differences in just vitamins and diet is helping him. Which is the most important things of all.

I do believe that we have doctors for a reason but I also know that no doctor knows everything. Just because the pediatrician says it isn't worth giving a try doesn't mean that they are right.

Psalm 139:13-16 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.  

X

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. What vitamins are we talking about here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He takes cod liver oil, vitamin d, monolaurin, probiotic, multivitamin, methyl mate, antioxidant. The monolaurin seems to be the key part to the potty training for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany: My sister has a son with Fragile X who wasn't speaking much at all until she took him off of gluten and dairy. It has made a world of difference. Glad to hear something is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa. I sent you an email. It would've come from marshalls-07@hotmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete