Thursday, March 8, 2012

Where it all began.

When Dalton was born he hit all his normal milestones at the right times. He sat up, crawled, walked, and ate normal foods at all the right times. BUT he didn't start talking. He did say da-da and bye bye before the age of 1 but that's where it stopped. It took a long time before he picked up ma-ma or anything else. At the age of 2 we got involved in our local early intervention program and now he is getting services through our local school district.

This week I have started getting him in a better routine and making him sit down with me every morning to do some sort of learning activity. This week we started with 15 minutes. He can make it that long and that is about it for now but we are working on it.

But every time he says a new word or a new sign I silently celebrate and sometimes not so silently if we are at home :) I'm learning very quickly to enjoy all of the little improvements! Right now Dalton probably has a 30 word vocabulary and 5-10 signs that he knows and uses. Of course if you aren't around him every day all day long you may understand 1/4th of the words maybe.

Dalton can, on the other hand, operate the Xbox  and every door/lock that he comes in contact with. He can't operate the mouse on a computer (yet) but he can tell you every button to hit to get it to where he wants it!

The Fragile X diagnosis threw me for a loop. I never saw it coming. Honestly I had probably only heard of it 1 or 2 other times in passing.  So, as happy as I was to finally have an answer was about equal to how completely confused and lost I felt.  So I have done the only thing I knew to do since then. Researched, read, prayed, researched, read, and prayed again.

At this point the only things I know for sure are: 1. My beautiful little boy has Fragile X syndrome. 2. God will carry us through whatever we may face. 3. Thank God I have a supportive husband and family to help us through.

 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV

"X" Marks the spot Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment